How To Obtain A Marriage License

As of 3/18/2020
If you are applying for a marriage license, we will need a valid picture ID from both individuals.
We will hand you a marriage license application to legibly fill out.  When you have completed the application, clip $46.00 CASH on the clipboard.  We will process the application while you wait in the hallway. 
Thank you for your understanding and cooperation during this time.
Effective August 28, 2007, Missouri no longer requires the three day waiting period for Marriage Licenses to be issued after application is made.  After application is made, the Recorder may issue the license, if the marriage is to be within 30 days of issue.

  • The fee for the Marriage License is $46.00 cash.  Payment is required at the time the application is made.  There are NO refunds.
  • Applications will be taken from 8:30am to 3:30pm Monday through Friday, except on Holidays.
  • Both prospective Bride and Groom must appear together before the Recorder or the Deputy Recorder to make an application.
  • Both must be atleast 18 years of age to apply without parental consent.  Both must provide proof of age and identification.  A valid driver's license or birth certificate is acceptable.  A Social Security card or proof therof will be requested.
  • If one or both parties are under the age of 18, they must be accompanied by their parent or legal guardian for consent.  The parent or legal guardian must also have identification.  Driver's license is acceptable.  A divorce degree may be requested for proof of guardianship.
  • Those under the age of 15 may NOT apply or obtain a marriage license without an order from the court.
  • Applicants may not be related through and including first cousins.
  • It is the public policy of this state ot issue a marriage license only to a man and a woman.
  • There is no longer a three day waiting period from application to the issue of the license.
  • At this time blood tests are not required in Missouri.
  • Once the license is issued, it must be used within thirty (30) days.  If not used it becomes void and must be returned to this office.  The license may be used anywhere in the State of Missouri.
  • The license must be returned to this office within 15 days after the ceremony.

Marriage License Checklist
To Apply

  • $46.00
  • Proper identification
  • Proof of Social Security Number
  • Proof of age
  • Parent or legal guardian for consent

(age 15-17)
After Your Marriage Checklist
Name change and marital status (for the female)

  • You should contact the following agencies to change your name and notify them of your marital status:
  • Department of Revenue Driver's License In St. Clair County, the license bureau is located inside the Do It Beest Hardware Store, Bus. Hwy 13, Oscoela, Mo.  The phone number is 417-646-2901.
  • Voter Registration
  • This is done in the County Clerk's Office located on the 1st floor of the St. Clair County Courthouse. Social Security Administration 120 S. Commerce Dr. Nevada, Mo. 64772
  • Forms are available in the Recorder's Office. 
  • You will need a certified copy of your marriage license to make that name change.  That is available from the Recorder's Office at no charge if obtained within 30 days of marriage, or a $9.00 fee if over 30 days.